Elbow support slot review

Postby elbowdovedave » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 pm

OK guys I know its my first post on here, but please don't shoot me down. I'm a huge fan of Doves and Elbow, and a veteran of many gigs as a muso, in venues small and smaller!But I hope you understand I do have some backup to what I say next, which I say in the hope someone on here is connected enough to pass this on to Jimi, Guy or someone who cares:-
I was made up to find out that Jimi was the support to Elbow when I turned up at the LG Arena in Birmingham last night (Sat 5th April 2014) but was gutted when I got in and heard the sound for Jimi's set. I am well aware that support often gets the s*** end of the stick soundwise, been there, done that, but really would have thought Elbows tech might have better looked after an artist of Jimi's calibre. It was dreadful. All I could hear was a distorted cymbal and bass drum. As if there was only one mike just under said cymbal on top of the bass drum. Jimis vocals were mud, his bass might not even have been plugged in, and the keyboards too. Such a shame for Jimi. I really couldn't tell if the new songs were any good, and even his chat between numbers was utterly distorted. I really hope for anyone turning up to the rest of the tour that this gets picked up and sorted out otherwise he might as well have not bothered turning out.
Of course when Elbow came on the sound was immaculate so it wasn't the rig or the arena, so someone has just let Jimi down badly. A real shame. All the best Jimi, hope it improves and you get the new material heard properly, by the kind of appreciate audience Elbow can attract.
elbowdovedave

Postby kenny » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:21 pm

welcome, no shooting down here....sounds a valid issue and a shame. hope the rest are better. thanks for the post

from the arse end of the planet on tapatalk
Don't sweat this life - learn what you need to and make sure you use for the next....or it'll be a long eternity.

See you in the Ether!
kenny

Postby Blue Skies » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks elbowdovedave, I'd say you've made some very valid points. There's no shooting down here.
I always get the impression the main bill gets the best sound. Saw Queens of the Stone Age support Foo Fighters a few years ago and their sound was shite. Same watching The Strypes supporting Arctic Monkeys a few months ago.
Suppose it's the way things are done nowadays: make the support sound bad to make the main act sound cool. You'd have thought Mr Garvey wouldn't have let that happen to his mate. But then he's got to keep selling his millions, hasn't he.
My advice? Catch Jimi at a smaller venue. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here comes a strange cargo.
Blue Skies

DPF Ultra

Re: Elbow support slot review

Postby Nicky » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:00 pm

That is disappointing to hear, surprising too as like you say you would think Elbow of all people would look after Jimi.
Nicky

Site Admin

Postby Teppin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:01 am

I hope it's better in Cardiff. I love elbow, but I'm going for Jimi
Let's leave at sunrise, let's live by the ocean!

Join the doves people's front- fan's militant wing!
Teppin

Site Admin

Postby kalman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:22 pm

thats a shame, as most songs are very rich sounding.
Hopefully it will be a one off.
kalman

Front Rower

Postby MC_Lemon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:58 pm

Saw Jimi in Manchester last night - I go to around 30 - 40 gigs a year and I suppose you get used to sound levels for support slots. I thought Jimi sounded great however my son (who'd never heard a great deal by him or indeed Doves) said he didn't enjoy it as "you couldn't tell what he was singing".

The sound was markedly improved for Elbow. Like other users have said it's a shame GG hasn't looked after his mate in this respect.
MC_Lemon

Postby Teppin » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Hope you enjoyed it!
Let's leave at sunrise, let's live by the ocean!

Join the doves people's front- fan's militant wing!
Teppin

Site Admin

Postby richtdev » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:52 pm

MC_Lemon wrote:Saw Jimi in Manchester last night - I go to around 30 - 40 gigs a year and I suppose you get used to sound levels for support slots. I thought Jimi sounded great however my son (who'd never heard a great deal by him or indeed Doves) said he didn't enjoy it as "you couldn't tell what he was singing".

The sound was markedly improved for Elbow. Like other users have said it's a shame GG hasn't looked after his mate in this respect.

nice to see someone else who takes their son to gigs. Mine has seen 100+ bands :D
the sun on my face makes me feel alive.
richtdev

Postby nikkijaydee » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Amazing, amazing, amazing. Had me in tears playing Snowden. Finally I was in the same room as him! It's been many years coming.

So excited for his solo tour now. Certainly one of the most well received support acts I've seen.

Sorry I'm rather emotional!
It's the best thing for you darlin'.
nikkijaydee

Mosher

Next

Return to Jimi Goodwin