Reviews

Reviews

Postby Jimi 0.1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Let's make a start. This is the first one I've come across. Nice.

http://dotsanddashes.co.uk/blog/oh-whis ... i-goodwin/
Jimi 0.1

Re: Reviews

Postby richtdev » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:15 pm

good start. Sounds or looks like they wanted to be the first as it isn't going to set the literary world on fire.
the sun on my face makes me feel alive.
richtdev

Forum Exclusive!!!

Postby Jimi 0.1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:04 pm

OK so here are the 'best bits' (in my editorial opinion) from Jimi's Q mag interview/album 'review'...Enjoy:

"Gleefully spliced from myriad genres, it's a wildly trippy collection; a joyous collision between the scale and scope of Doves' music and the magpie-like attitude of Sub Sub."

"Odludek is an exercise in wilful eclecticism. The recurrent riff on "Live Like A River" could be lifted from a '90s rave track, while the frenetic, brass-led "Man v Dingo" rides in sounding like an acid-fired version of the Pearl & Dean film trailer music. Lyrically, Odludek flits from "rant-poem" (Man v Dingo) to end-of-the-night barstool confessional (wistful first single "Oh! Whiskey)."

"Guy's a mate, we've always talked about writing together. He co-wrote "Panic Tree", which is about how mad both of our fathers were."

" "Keep My Soul In Song" samples a track by ('60s US avant-pop band) Orpheus. I just used the left side. I thought, 'I'm having that.' The way I see it, I've collaborated with a few people...they just don't know it yet!"
Jimi 0.1

Re: Forum Exclusive!!!

Postby Nicky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:16 am

Sure does stoke the fire eh! :)
Nicky

Site Admin

Postby Jimi 0.1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:47 am

OMG yeah totally!!! I feel like a total teenage girl ROFL LMAO ABC 123 ETC. :P

I hesitate to say this but...I may actually be more - or just as - excited for this than I was for either of the last 2 doves LPs. You see, after they delivered their first 2 exhilarating albums one kinda felt inside that anything that they did after that would not disappoint - and history shows us they didn't - did they? But with Jimi...he's kind of an unknown quantity. OK, by now we should have all heard "Oh! Whiskey" and most of us should have also caught the short website clip that was looped before the recent facelift, but we still haven't heard the entire album and so none of us really know what to expect. So that's why I am so excited.

Again, I did say I hesitated to say how excited I am! ;) I was PRETTYYY excited to hear EVERY doves release but just in a different way. You see what I am saying? Although, in a way this IS like awaiting a new doves release because although all 3 fellas share equal songwriting credit (and deservedly so), really it is Jimi that IS doves. It's HIS voice that you hear on 95% of their songs so when you hear him you are instantly transported back to their music - if only in memory. At least that's how I see it.
Jimi 0.1

Postby richtdev » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:10 pm

know what you mean. :D
the sun on my face makes me feel alive.
richtdev

Postby Jimi 0.1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:13 am

Just thought I should mention for those of you that haven't seen the physical copy of the article yet and have only read my "tidbits" above, that I made a spelling error which I have now amended. The real article did not say "Gleefully SPICED" but "Gleefully SPLICED"! LOL. Gleefully spiced could be how one would describe a particularly good batch of space cakes :shock: :lol: I doubt many of you actually noticed the error and you might not even care, but hey, I feel that accuracy is important especially when it's something about someone we dig.

richtdev wrote:know what you mean. :D

Oh yeah? Good. Which bit exactly? LOL.
Jimi 0.1

Postby gibbo1968 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:20 pm

Life's not a dress rehearsal
gibbo1968

Mosher

Postby gibbo1968 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:09 am

Life's not a dress rehearsal
gibbo1968

Mosher

Postby Yank » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am

Jimi 0.1 wrote:Just thought I should mention for those of you that haven't seen the physical copy of the article yet and have only read my "tidbits" above, that I made a spelling error which I have now amended. The real article did not say "Gleefully SPICED" but "Gleefully SPLICED"! LOL. Gleefully spiced could be how one would describe a particularly good batch of space cakes :shock: :lol: I doubt many of you actually noticed the error and you might not even care, but hey, I feel that accuracy is important especially when it's something about someone we dig.

richtdev wrote:know what you mean. :D

Oh yeah? Good. Which bit exactly? LOL.

You remind me of someone I know in a distant land. Weird, huh?
What's so funny about peace, love and the polar vortex?
Yank

DPF Member

Next

Return to Jimi Goodwin