More Lost Sides

More Lost Sides

Postby bennyness » Fri May 06, 2011 1:45 am

I recently compiled a collection of Doves B-sides that didn't feature on Lost Sides (either because they hadn't been released then or they didn't make it for some reason). I spent ages (like a nerd I am) trying to make a solid running order. I chose to leave out live b-sides (as i hate live tracks mixed in with studio tracks) and Seven Day Smile as that's really Jane Weaver. I'm quite chuffed with the running order I chose, and it's also great to have all these b-sides in one place rather than having to fish out all the CD's they're on.

1. Firesuite (Noise Version)
2. Blue Water
3. 45
4. The Drifter
5. Son Of A Builder
6. Ship Of Fools
7. Eleven Miles Out
8. Acoustic No.1
9. Brazil
10. Push Me On
11. Andalucia
12. Karen
13. At The Tower
14. The Last Son
15. Suitenoise
It's Ok To Be Disappointed
bennyness

Re: More Lost Sides

Postby kalman » Fri May 06, 2011 2:02 am

nice list...
only thing is that I prefer the brazil aeroplane remix to the original..
kalman

Front Rower

Postby Nicky » Fri May 06, 2011 5:37 am

Like the start of it, need to fire that up on the itunes!
Nicky

Site Admin

Postby Teppin » Fri May 06, 2011 10:06 am

We've said previously, one of the best things about doves is that their b sides and bonus tracks are as good as or even better than most bands' a sides.

Mark Radcliff once said some oasis album tracks sound like their only purpose is to fill an album. To me Doves tracks all sound like they were conceived to stand on their own right
Let's leave at sunrise, let's live by the ocean!

Join the doves people's front- fan's militant wing!
Teppin

Site Admin

Postby richtdev » Fri May 06, 2011 10:15 am

the last son. Possibly the best non album song in the world.
the sun on my face makes me feel alive.
richtdev

Postby kalman » Fri May 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Teppin wrote:We've said previously, one of the best things about doves is that their b sides and bonus tracks are as good as or even better than most bands' a sides.

Mark Radcliff once said some oasis album tracks sound like their only purpose is to fill an album. To me Doves tracks all sound like they were conceived to stand on their own right

Oasis's music for the first 2 albums (all the A sides and B sides) are amazing.

I hate to rehash the Compulsion discussion, but...and I love the song, but..I think of it more of a b-side track.
I also love - "shadow lay across.." but I cant see that fitting into any of the other albums either....
kalman

Front Rower

Postby Nicky » Sat May 07, 2011 5:01 am

kalman wrote:I also love - "shadow lay across.." but I cant see that fitting into any of the other albums either....

Couldn't agree more mate. It certainly wouldn't have fit on Lost Souls, can't imagine it following Break Me Gently! Love the song, but it wasn't really like the other stuff.

Darker on the other hand..
Nicky

Site Admin

Postby Teppin » Sat May 07, 2011 5:51 am

I love your shadow lay across my life. I agree it wouldn't of fitted into lost souls, but nor does catch the sun! But it doesn't sound like a b side in a traditional sense, it's as good as an album track. If anything it could of come after melody calls in a more upbeat section

Teppin

Site Admin

Postby richtdev » Sat May 07, 2011 8:01 am

NickyMcMillan wrote:
kalman wrote:I also love - "shadow lay across.." but I cant see that fitting into any of the other albums either....

Couldn't agree more mate. It certainly wouldn't have fit on Lost Souls, can't imagine it following Break Me Gently! Love the song, but it wasn't really like the other stuff.

Darker on the other hand..

now darker is up there with my fave doves songs ever. For some reason I always think of it being slap bang in the middle of Lost Souls. The same way as I am always surprised when I hear satellites on lb as when I copied the cd for the car, so my proper copy stayed a1 condition, it missed satellites off. Didnt even know it was on there for 2 years lol. True story :oops:
the sun on my face makes me feel alive.
richtdev

Postby Teppin » Sat May 07, 2011 8:08 am

richtdev wrote:The same way as I am always surprised when I hear satellites on lb as when I copied the cd for the car, so my proper copy stayed a1 condition, it missed satellites off. Didnt even know it was on there for 2 years lol. True story :oops:

That's mad! :)

Teppin

Site Admin

Next

Return to Doves