Echoes in the Alleyway Part II

Echoes in the Alleyway Part II yay or nay?

Do it!
88%
Don't bother!
No votes
Don't care!
13%

Total votes : 16

Postby Nicky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:49 pm

Alright folks, just thinking out loud with this one. Considering doing another covers project next year, not sure as yet but def could do with some other peoples thoughts.

The timing of the project last year couldn't have been better with the Doves best of out, it coincided with Doves 'last gig for awhile' among other things. I borrowed the idea (after it was suggested to me) from another artist website, who does this every year! Not sure how he does it, the work that goes into it is mega. You have no idea how much I appreciated the help I got from those of you who contributed to the project.

It was a huge success in one way, so far the album has been downloaded over 6700 times! We smashed the target raising £1,528.59 and counting! That said, out of the 6700 people who downloaded the album, only 60 of those donated. Which for me was the main reason for doing the project.

So that makes me ask..should we do it again? If so what could be better..

what could be done different?
What didn't you like?
Should we share the 'wealth' and go with another charity?
Was the quality of tracks good, better or worse than expected ? (just curious, nowt we can do about it!)
Was 2CDs worth of tracks too much?

If you have any thoughts, even if its negative please air them! If we are to do another project, I want it to be for the right reasons. Yes I have got a band folks will know who would like to contribute, but I don't want that to be the only reason you know?
Nicky

Site Admin

Postby Teppin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Well as you know I've given a few opinions to you already. The quality of the first album was great, higher than I thought to be honest. I love the interpretations.

Personally I think people should only be able to download in exchange for a donation
Let's leave at sunrise, let's live by the ocean!

Join the doves people's front- fan's militant wing!
Teppin

Site Admin

Re: Echoes in the Alleyway Part II

Postby Nicky » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:49 pm

Teppin wrote:Personally I think people should only be able to download in exchange for a donation

Thought about this. The only problem would be I don't think the charity can reclaim 'gift aid' as the payment option has to be optional. But then would we make more money for the charity, because folks have to pay? Its hard to say, but def worth thinking about!
Nicky

Site Admin

Postby kenny » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:00 pm

Thought it sounded great and the quality outstanding; sincerely. Not being a musician I couldn't fault it, the only thing to do better would be to maybe get 'cameos' from the boys on it? So you might have to throw in a bird charity??

I agree with having to pay something, that's the reason for doing it. Even set a minimum of 75p ?? I think 10-12 songs would be fine too.

Also, I'm more than happy to help anyway I can...just PM me :)
Don't sweat this life - learn what you need to and make sure you use for the next....or it'll be a long eternity.

See you in the Ether!
kenny

Postby Teppin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:52 pm

As far as which charity nicky I think that's up to you. If the teenage cancer trust is close to your heart- go for it.

I support the RNLI and the woodland trust. But I'll always help a mate and their chosen charity

Teppin

Site Admin

Postby richtdev » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:22 am

still havnt downloaded it. Dont know why will have to get my arse in gear.
the sun on my face makes me feel alive.
richtdev

Postby Trevour » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:41 pm

If it's a go I would love to contribute once again. :)
Trevour

Postby Gitch » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:38 pm

richtdev wrote:still havnt downloaded it. Dont know why will have to get my arse in gear.

Do it Rich, it really is worth any cash you can donate.

Nicky, you have to get another one done. I don't listen to all of the first one very often but there are a few songs I listen to a hell of a lot, the obvious one being Ambition.
It burns!!!!!!
Gitch

Gig Regular

Postby kalman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:00 am

what could be done different?
I cant recall the reason why the record labels wouldnt allow signed artists to perform on it.
But anyways...just an idea...can we convince artists to cover a Doves song live (like in concert) have that recorded and then be included ?
I cant believe im suggesting this..but would like to see if we can fulfill Jimi's wish and get Lady Gaga to cover 1 song live..for a difference of 4 albums, I think she owes it to them.. And to be honest- I think the story of her outselling Doves by 4 albums, is such a interesting story, that if we pushed for it on something like facebook or twitter, the request could go viral. (im not a fan of lady gaga..but I do like the song telephone and I do think that any cover would be good advertising for the band)
Think about it.

What didn't you like?
Not sure...I dont think I like the fact that there were the some songs were covered 2x-but I understand that you dont want to exclude anyone.

Should we share the 'wealth' and go with another charity?

Indifferent

Was the quality of tracks good, better or worse than expected ? (just curious, nowt we can do about it!)
The sound quality was way better than expected...some of the performances were hits and some were misses...I still listen to the cover of Compulsion...cover of Brazil I thought was fun as well

Was 2CDs worth of tracks too much
ahh...i tihnk if it was 1 cd it would be harder to get a donation.
kalman

Front Rower

Postby Teppin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:05 am

I remain surprised that people downloaded without a donation. Perhaps they thought it was a doves fan thing, so they didn't need to get involved. Personally I didn't touch it until i'd donated, it would've felt like stealing. I understand the tax gift aid issue, but I'm thinking a charge might be more beneficial for the charity.

Teppin

Site Admin

Next

Return to Doves