Re: More Tour Dates Announced

Postby richtdev » Thu May 21, 2015 3:41 pm

nikkijaydee wrote:Time flies eh!

bloody scary :shock:
the sun on my face makes me feel alive.
richtdev

Postby Hinterland » Thu May 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Sorry to interrupt all these dewy eyed reminisces...!!!!

Finally got a wee write up of the Glasgow gig (& apols this has taken me such a long time to post – I was aiming to have this for the weekend but best laid plans etc..!)

I wasn't sure if Bee_forever was going to post about the London gig - so not meaning to steal thunder etc.

Well I was really looking forward to see how Black Rivers’ arenas jaunt would feed back into a small venue gig & boy I wasn’t disappointed! I was absolutely gob smacked: they delivered in spades.

The stage configuration at King Tut’s seemed to have changed – it’s been a while since I’ve been in the venue – so I may just be rambling/ hallucinating that the stage had been expanded leaving a smaller standing bit; & the back elevated area where the sound desk stands was piled high with punters. Before Black Rivers came on I did overhear a couple of folk saying they’d been at the Hydro gig (which was a stormer by all accounts). I hadn’t got the note about a gig uniform of anorak, jeans & trainers – alternatively I’d be interested to know how many guys (& I mean blokes – who seemed mainly to be in groups of 3) had come on the back of having seen them with Noel G. Don’t know if the split of crowd downstairs standing/ upstairs seats restrained the audience but there was some serious head nodding & a little finger pointing until well into the set & then a bit of dude arm flailing (I shamelessly was dancing throughout – I have the blister to prove it!). What I was slightly bemused at was 2 women at the left of the stage barrier who were SAT throughout the gig – just seemed a bit weird to go right to the front to sit quietly!

The songs felt pared back, more rockier – we got a blistering version of The Ship & then Diamond Days started off with Andy just on tambourine & kick drum. Black &White Town – got the biggest cheer of the night with the crowd singing the chorus for dear life! Pounding ripped the place apart. And I love Voyager 1 being the final song as we sail (fly?) off home

Lovely to see Jez relaxed & in the moment of each song – clearly comfortable with his vocal now (even if he did need to reach for the throat spray) & singing the heart out of each song. The energy flowing from the stage kept coming in wave after wave. A bit of banter got appreciative cheers in reply & he was no stranger to getting the crowd clapping & was straight back on the case when it began to tail off!

It’s been a while since I’ve been at a gig where it genuinely felt all of about 10 mins had gone by... hmm maybe that wasn’t dry ice being pumped from the stage! For me, one of the things that makes King Tut’s such a great venue is that the roof is quite low & the stage is the full length of the room so that all the sound is just propelled from the stage straight at you. When bands have got their sound mix spot on it feels like the music is exploding around you – I was definitely left in a dazed state nursing sonic blast injuries afterwards!!

I hadn’t heard the support act The Tripps before & thought they were pretty impressive – great energy & the sound was really sharp.
Hinterland

Gig Regular

Postby richtdev » Thu May 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Cheers Meg love. Glad you had a fab time and great write up xx
the sun on my face makes me feel alive.
richtdev

Postby Teppin » Fri May 22, 2015 8:21 pm

That does sound good. Thanks for letting us know!
Let's leave at sunrise, let's live by the ocean!

Join the doves people's front- fan's militant wing!
Teppin

Site Admin

Previous

Return to Black Rivers