Gulliver's

Re: Gulliver's

Postby Jessica Daniels » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks, Hinterland, was wondering when you would get around to posting. Good job, man.

I just have to reiterate that I am very much un-undecided about The Ship! I actually listened to it and Jetstream back-to-back last night and I gotta say I think it's even better than Jetstream! I would have no complaints if the whole album sounded the same, although I suspect from their history and what I have read, that won't be the case. I'm not disappointed by that though, far from it. I love variety but my only hope is that each track's style fits together better than those on Odludek did. If the boys don't stray too far from a "formula" here, I could see them being really successful, even more so than Jimi perhaps...which isn"t that impossible. I just have a good feeling and I think they will appeal to a wider audience, which is all good with me. All I ever wanted for doves back in the day was for them to become really successful (but not Coldplay-sized).
As I headed out west this beauty did remain,
Through an English village, landscapes washed in rain
Jessica Daniels

Stage Invader

Gulliver's

Postby Substance » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Glad you enjoyed the new stuff!
Substance

Mosher

Gulliver's

Postby chov » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Fantastic review, Hinterland. I'm so glad it went so well, and it sounds like Jez is a natural frontman! Can't wait to read all about tonight.
I'll return to your side, but the push and the pull of the tide is all I've ever known.
chov

Front Rower

Postby rederic7 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:22 pm

Great review Hinterland, glad it went so well.

I Couldn`t get the night off work.......Gutted.

I`m sure there will be more dates announced in the not too distant future though.
rederic7

DPF Member

Postby Hinterland » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks guys – it was pretty naughty of me to head down to the mcr gig so as long as you got a flavour of the evening you were there in spirit!

Ha! Yes – Nickithe girl – skinny rump Tech very much in attendance! Though as stage probably just a foot from the ground luckily front row hide any pant display during the set!

Do you know, Rederic – a chap had just asked the Tech the ‘S’ question when I got to the front. So him, his wife & I all had a wee laugh/ commiseration & I did wonder if that might be you but you hadn’t mentioned going… & as I haven’t passed my DMB proficiency test yet I didn’t know the secret greeting/ handshake & there was no way I was simply asking a stranger if he was Rederic!

At the end of the day, I get the impression that all the guys are now following their hearts & making the music that they want to & that they’re proud of – so I’m happy with that!
Hinterland

Gig Regular

Postby Jessica Daniels » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:24 am

Jessica Daniels

Stage Invader

Gulliver's

Postby kenny » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:39 am

great write up H.....MVP for the week :)

looking forward to hearing the other songs as Mr(s) D said
Don't sweat this life - learn what you need to and make sure you use for the next....or it'll be a long eternity.

See you in the Ether!
kenny

Postby nikkijaydee » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Set list from their FB page. You can win it too!
It's the best thing for you darlin'.
nikkijaydee

Mosher

Gulliver's

Postby Substance » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:00 pm

Interesting they scribbled out tracks 7 & 8
Substance

Mosher

Postby Jessica Daniels » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:06 pm

I think it's interesting how a couple of the tracks still seem to reflect their love of travel which has been evident on doves albums, specifically Voyager 1 which kinda continues the theme of their fascination with space and Jodrell Bank. And a couple of their other tracks seem to indicate their love of 19th-century literature. I know they are all pretty well read from stuff I read about them during doves-days (anybody remember the "this week andy is reading/listening to...." features on the old site?), so maybe those books are something they read when they were at school or whatever. As for Diamond Days, all I could find about that is that there is/was a band that had an album with the title.
Jessica Daniels

Stage Invader

Previous

Return to Black Rivers