The Ship

The Ship

Postby Nicky » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Nice to finally be able to post about a Andy & Jez track..

Mega tune! Love the sound.
Nicky

Site Admin

Re: The Ship

Postby Blue Skies » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:40 pm

Have you been having a word with them? It's synthtastic :synth:
Here comes a strange cargo.
Blue Skies

DPF Ultra

Postby Jessica Daniels » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:45 pm

It's utterly brilliant. On my 8th listen now...

Is it just me or does anybody else think Andy's vocals have drastically improved (although it may just be whatever mic and/or filter they used)? I never was the biggest fan of Andy's vocals (apart from maybe Here It Comes), I always prefered Jez's but he kinda fits this song.

I'll be honest I was expecting it to stay all acoustic & folky like the beginning so i was pleasantly surprised (not that I hate all acoustic folk or anything) when the beats kicked in. In the back of my mind (especially after Jetstream which really stuck out like a sore thumb on KOR in my opinion) I had a feeling they may head in that direction as I think that's where they were already heading. The difference between the twins and Jimi on that album were more evident than before. As they said in an interview "it's schizophrenic". I think it was inevitable that doves were going to "split" after that record. Proved to be a good thing, really.

Can't say i can really draw comparisons to anybody else right at this moment! It's exactly as it has been previously described - "Nu Psychadelic Soul" or whatever it was. I think of it as Psychadelic Electronica or "Psychatronica", if you will. It's Black Rivers!
As I headed out west this beauty did remain,
Through an English village, landscapes washed in rain
Jessica Daniels

Stage Invader

Postby Nicky » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:18 pm

I agree the parting of ways has worked out for the best. But don't think Black Rivers have thrown away the guitars, as you will find out when they play their first shows next week.
Nicky

Site Admin

Postby Jessica Daniels » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:50 pm

Oh I don't doubt that one bit, Nicky my friend! I can hear some guitars in this...JUST ;)

LOL you just reminded me of an old doves "headline" maybe I can paraphrase here...let's see.....

"Introducing Black Rivers....they threw away their guitars and picked up synths....OVERNIGHT!!!!"

:lol:
Jessica Daniels

Stage Invader

Postby Hinterland » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Cricky - well I'll be honest that is not what I was expecting (eh, although heaven knows what I was expecting exactly) but this is bloody lovely!

Expansive swells & eddys lets you sink into the track. (Sorry couldn't resist!) Builds wonderfully. Reflective. Aching. Melancholic.

Ach, all right, I'll just stick with bloody lovely then!
Hinterland

Gig Regular

Postby Substance » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Jessica Daniels wrote:Is it just me or does anybody else think Andy's vocals have drastically improved

I think he sounds a bit like Tim Booth from James on this track, but a Tim Booth I like! I like his doves performances on record, but have questioned a few live performances. I'm wondering about the logistics of Black Rivers live - will he be singing from behind the drum kit?
Substance

Mosher

The Ship

Postby chov » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 pm

No, Jez will be handling all the vocals. He can't play the drums. :)
I'll return to your side, but the push and the pull of the tide is all I've ever known.
chov

Front Rower

Postby Jessica Daniels » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Is anybody else having trouble actually physically downloading this? In the email i got is said "download" in the link but the track just plays in the browser and i have tried in chrome and IE and i haven't been able to find a way to actually download it yet. Surely it should be more straightforward than this or has everybody else just listened through that emailunlock.com site with the embedded soundcloud audio?
Jessica Daniels

Stage Invader

The Ship

Postby Substance » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Jessica Daniels wrote:Is anybody else having trouble actually physically downloading this? In the email i got is said "download" in the link but the track just plays in the browser and i have tried in chrome and IE and i haven't been able to find a way to actually download it yet. Surely it should be more straightforward than this or has everybody else just listened through that emailunlock.com site with the embedded soundcloud audio?

Mine was ok. I clicked the link in the confirmation email and on the web page from the link was the embedded track but also a download button at the bottom of the page. When I clicked that download button the track downloaded. I must admit it wasn't the most obvious process.
Substance

Mosher

Next

Return to Black Rivers