Re: Steve Lloyd Fundraising Gig

Postby Hinterland » Thu May 14, 2015 11:06 am

gibbo1968 wrote:alas the holidays on our section are booked up so can't go :(

Aww mate sorry to hear that. F**ker.
Hinterland

Gig Regular

Postby Hinterland » Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 am

nikkijaydee wrote:I still haven't made my mind up about this one. I think I'll buy a ticket regardless because even if I don't go the money goes to charity.

Might see you though!
Hinterland

Gig Regular

Postby gibbo1968 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:30 pm

so how did it go meg????
Life's not a dress rehearsal
gibbo1968

Mosher

Steve Lloyd Fundraising Gig

Postby Hinterland » Thu May 28, 2015 12:31 am

Aww lovely, lovely gig - crowd singing & dancing from the start. I particularly loved the 2 baldy old gezzers waltzing & twirling each other 'round the room' during Oh! Whiskey. AND we sang (a slightly early) Happy Birthday to Jimi!!

Phone Call wasn't played & Noughts & Ones I didn't recognise but thought from how Jimi & Jake were vibbing of each other was a cover (probably wrong though!)

Pre-signed - I didn't get to stutter/gush like the fool I truely am (!)

Also Trojan Horse were HILARIOUS - doing an unplanned acoustic set due to illness ('though p45s may be on their way to a poorly drummer & bass player). They totally deserved the whooping & cheering from the crowd at the end. I was actually wiping away tears of laughter at the end of their set - they are a HOOT!

Will post more by wkend
Hinterland

Gig Regular

Postby Nicky » Thu May 28, 2015 2:34 am

Cheers for the setlist, I uploaded to the blog hope you don't mind!

Naughts and Ones?
Nicky

Site Admin

Postby nikkijaydee » Thu May 28, 2015 6:15 am

Twitter seems to suggest it was awesome. Gutted I couldn't go :cry:
It's the best thing for you darlin'.
nikkijaydee

Mosher

Postby nikkijaydee » Thu May 28, 2015 6:58 am

Just had a quick look online for Noughts and Ones and I reckon it's a new one. Did it sound good?
nikkijaydee

Mosher

Postby gibbo1968 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:08 am

I thought there might be some new tracks oh well anyway meg where's the pics??????
Life's not a dress rehearsal
gibbo1968

Mosher

Postby nikkijaydee » Fri May 29, 2015 7:55 am

http://www.eventhestars.co.uk/2015/05/j ... h.html?m=1

Nice review here. Though The Phone call is a Pretenders cover not a new track.
nikkijaydee

Mosher

Postby Hinterland » Fri May 29, 2015 11:28 pm

The Roadhouse had a lovely relaxed atmosphere on Wednesday & a packed room with everyone up for a sing-song/ dance right from the start. A teeny-tiny stage – I’m still impressed they managed to get everyone/all the kit on it – though poor Jake seemed to be stuck behind a pillar. Quite a high stage for such a low ceilinged room & the band had to duck when they came to get on the stage – just as well Jimi doesn’t bounce up & down much or he may well have clattered his head of the lighting gantry (emm, well I say gantry but in all honesty it was a light attached to a disconnected pipe!). We had a bit of a wait for the man himself after the rest of the band came on. Jimi was clearly a bit mortified – asking the crowd if it had looked like proper rock-star behaviour! And a song or two later explaining he hadn’t finished his pre-gig ablutions only to be met with plenty of grief in response! Mate, never explain, never apologise!

In such a small room Terracotta Warrier sounded bloody fierce & Kingdom of Rust had the crowd singing from the get-go. A joyous Oh! Whiskey – with some fantastic dancing from a group of baldy geezers having a total hoe-down at the front! Jimi introduced GOTE by talking about his folks hailing from Ancoats & the song being about memories of family stories when visiting his Nan. Naughts & crosses wasn’t introduced & I presumed it was a cover as Jimi & Jake where clearly letting rip during it & bouncing off each other's playing. However the more I’ve thought about it the guys were loving playing the song & evidently having fun – big grins from Jake throughout – so I’m wondering if it’s a new track. Bit difficult to describe as during it there was a strong smell of overheating electrics (folk had started to look round slightly nervously – I clocked how many people were between me & the fire exit!) so all I can say is it didn’t have a fire alarm during it! But if Jimi & Jake were having such a blast playing it then that’s good enough for me! MvD got an additional, ‘’fuck the Tories’’ to appreciative bellows from the crowd. And Sulphur Man was flippin’ outstanding. Panic Tree started of suitably boisterous – a proper raucous knees-up & then a blistering LATD to round things off. What was fantastic was the singing/cheering was just as passionate for the Odludek songs as for the old Doves’ ones. Hmm, looking back at the setlist I don’t recall them playing Snowden now that I think about it (as well as spiking The Phone Call).

It would be fair to say that the guys were coping with technical gremlins throughout the set – so while I think they may have been having a bit of a ‘mare (actually probably more than ‘a bit’) it didn’t matter a jot to the crowd. Think at one point Bo got some cheek from a punter so we got an impromptu little drum solo causing the audience to start shouting, ‘’Bo! Bo! Bo!’’. And bless whoever shouted for ‘’an acoustic Space Face’’.

Prompted by Jake, a surprise cake was brought on stage about half way through the set & we sang a hearty Happy Birthday to Jimi as he blew out the candles. He then promptly handed the cake to a slightly bemused woman at the front of the stage (desperately, desperately wanting to write that as Jimi passed a chocolate log into the audience… heeh heeh!!). Jimi talked a bit about the venue & Steve Lloyd followed by a round of applause from the crowd. He asked the audience what their favourite Roadhouse gigs had been over the years getting heaps of bands/musicians shouted back in reply – obviously a well-loved venue.

Afterwards I was coveting a gig poster on the wall but was thinking it would be a bit of bad form to half-inch a hospice benefit poster – then saw that there was signed ones for sale. Win-win: a donation & a signed poster – sometimes good behaviour is its own reward! I also now need, at the very least, to put the roadie on my xmas card list as I managed to snaffle Jake’s setlist.

As Trojan Horse were acoustic – just guitar & keys – I hadn’t expected to hear hazy sweet melodies however both guys kept up an ongoing & highly entertaining commentary of how each song should have sounded. On one song the keyboard player had the crowd stamping the floor & clapping to lieu of distortion. I’ve possibly led a sheltered life but I’ve certainly never seen an acoustic guitar taking such a battering. During their last song they had the crowd convulsed with laughter when the singer knocked over a chair in the most hilariously civilised stage destruction ever (we’ll draw a view over what the singer then suggested he’d be doing to the upturned chair leg). Blimey, Jimi certainly picks great support bands & I’ve still to see the whole band live!
Hinterland

Gig Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Jimi Goodwin