The Ghost Of The Empties

Re: The Ghost Of The Empties

Postby Cazzie13 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:49 pm

richtdev wrote:
Cazzie13 wrote:Fifth favourite at the moment, lovely song. Like the intro/build up and I love the ending........ends on a sad note.

you are wrong obviously ;)

I usually am.............. 8-)
Drive with me, past the city and down to sea......
Cazzie13

Back Stage Pass

Postby richtdev » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Cazzie13 wrote:
richtdev wrote:
Cazzie13 wrote:Fifth favourite at the moment, lovely song. Like the intro/build up and I love the ending........ends on a sad note.

you are wrong obviously ;)

I usually am.............. 8-)

Lol. I think after putting Kristians bedding photo on fb I need to buy you a drink at PSB gig. It was really expensive, :oops:
the sun on my face makes me feel alive.
richtdev

Postby Nicky » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Great video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvesCDS-PoY

Sounds glorious live. Wish we could get over for a show.
Nicky

Site Admin

The Ghost Of The Empties

Postby nikkijaydee » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Lovely Nicky. Thanks for posting. Getting me more excited for the two gigs I'm seeing in the next month.

"It's the best thing for you darling."
It's the best thing for you darlin'.
nikkijaydee

Mosher

Postby Cazzie13 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:32 am

In the middle of reading a book by Stuart McConie about middle England. In it he mentions a pub in Oxford called the Eagle and Child. It's apparently where the authors C S Lewis and Tolkien used to hang out together. Do you think this is what Jimi is referring to in this song?
Drive with me, past the city and down to sea......
Cazzie13

Back Stage Pass

Re: Re: The Ghost Of The Empties

Postby nikkijaydee » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Cazzie13 wrote:In the middle of reading a book by Stuart McConie about middle England. In it he mentions a pub in Oxford called the Eagle and Child. It's apparently where the authors C S Lewis and Tolkien used to hang out together. Do you think this is what Jimi is referring to in this song?

Ah, interesting. I always wondered if it was somewhere in Manchester.

On an aside. I love Stuart Maconie's books. I'm currently re reading 'Pies and Prejudice'.
It's the best thing for you darlin'.
nikkijaydee

Mosher

Postby Jessica Daniels » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:44 pm

Cazzie13 wrote:In the middle of reading a book by Stuart McConie about middle England. In it he mentions a pub in Oxford called the Eagle and Child. It's apparently where the authors C S Lewis and Tolkien used to hang out together. Do you think this is what Jimi is referring to in this song?

It's entirely possible. Interestingly at one time there was a room in the back of that pub called the Rabbit Room. Not many know that the working title for Man v Dingo was actually Man v Rabbit, although it is not known if the two are connected.

nikkijaydee wrote:Ah, interesting. I always wondered if it was somewhere in Manchester.

Good thinking. There IS an Eagle and Child pub in Ramsbottom, Greater Manchester, and also one in Whitefield, Manchester I think. If anything it's more likely to be one of those as they're much closer to home. But then again I'm just speculating, it's impossible for me to know EVERYTHING. ;)

To be fair, it's probably more likely - considering his affection for ornithology - to be simply a reference to one of his twitching observations. Just like Birds Flew Backwards was a reference to him seeing a Crow in a stom. Or it could even mean NOTHING.....WOW, I'd never given any thought to the lyric until now. lol.
As I headed out west this beauty did remain,
Through an English village, landscapes washed in rain
Jessica Daniels

Stage Invader

The Ghost Of The Empties

Postby Blue Skies » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:09 pm

Nice one Caz. I'm so blasé about lyrics but that is really interesting.
Here comes a strange cargo.
Blue Skies

DPF Ultra

Previous

Return to Jimi Goodwin